megan wetselaar

megan wetselaar

February 18, 2014

From my journal.


2-17-14
    Yesterday at my team meeting for Clarkston, we heard Sam R.'s testimony. I've never known him or really even thought twice about him. Honestly, I've been pretty judgmental and always thought he was pretty weird. 
    He talked about how he used to move around a lot....like ten times....and he was homeschooled so he never really had friends and never kept in touch with any he did have.  So he's been really introverted and become really good with computers and wants to design video games. As to his testimony, though, he didn't have much to say. So he said it'd be better if we just asked him questions. Dr. C. spoke up: "How many siblings do you have?" "An older brother and a younger brother. And, well, my little sister just died in a car accident over Christmas Break.
    Oh.
    I felt awful. This poor guy. Last semester, 3 siblings; this semester, 2. That's why he skipped the meeting last week; just to be with his family.
    Everyone kind of looked away from him pretty awkwardly. I stared at him. I wanted to memorize his face. He's had years of people leaving his life, or him leaving theirs, and he's hardly a memory to anyone. And he just lost his sister. I wanted to memorize his face. I don't ever want to forget him. His story. His hurt. Hurt beyond what I can imagine.
    And so, today I wrote a note to him--Box 308. Really simple. On a notecard. I didn't sign my name.
"I just wanted to let you know I'm praying for you and your family."

And I don't want to forget. 


I want to see people how Jesus sees them. Because how do I see others? I'm really judgmental. I base everything about them off my first impression. I categorize them; stereotype them. I compare my flaws to their perfections or worse--blow their slight, quirky differences and imperfections out of proportion and therefore ignore them. I see them merely as minor characters in my main story (they don't even have their own main story). They don't know what hurt is, or what missing people is; not like I do. But how is that acting like Christ? He hung out with the lowest of people. People that had the most hurt and pain. And he didn't diminish those hurts or assume things about those people. And He certainly didn't elevate Himself above others. It was quite the opposite. He humbled Himself. Became a servant.

I am not like Christ. I judge people. I don't want to hang out with people that are completely different than me because that would be weird. And then one of those weird people suddenly tells us about his sister dying (just 2 months ago!) and I feel awful. Who am I as a believer serving Christ if I don't share others' burdens, or if I forget that others have problems? It shouldn't take things this drastic to make us realize how much others are hurting and how badly they need our love.

I think it's time to stop seeing people through my own sinful, proud, judgmental, vain eyes.  And to start seeing others as Christ sees them. Broken and struggling. Falling apart from the weight of the burdens of this world.

And yet. Made perfect in Him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hey I'm Megan. This is just my blog of my life, my adventures, my story...even if I don't know where it's going.

Following This Blog...

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.